We have temporarily suspended all disconnections for non-payment. We urge customers to make every effort to keep their accounts current during the period when disconnections are suspended. If you anticipate problems paying your electric bill, please contact us to discuss payment options.
Bills will not be waived and we urge customers in financial distress to call us with bill payment concerns on 1-800-956-4237.
Residential Payment Options and Others Sources of Assistance
Visit AppalachianPower.com/account or call us for more information or any questions you have about your residential or business account.
- Appalachian Power’s Average Monthly Payment Plan moderates fluctuations in monthly bills while avoiding the potential of a large settlement balance, or credit, at the end of the program. The monthly payment on the AMP Plan is based on the average of the current month’s bill, plus the previous 11 months’ bills. The payment amount will vary slightly from month to month, but avoids significant differences in billing due to large usage changes. Please note that this is not an equal monthly payment plan.
- One Time Payment Extension - this program gives you extra time to pay off a single bill
- Extended Payment Agreement - this agreement helps you cover your account balance on a monthly payment plan
Payment Assistance Programs
- Neighbor to Neighbor Program – Appalachian Power and Dollar Energy Fund have teamed up to match all donations from generous customers to assist low-income families paying their electric bills.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - We work with many private and non-profit community-based local and federal organizations that provide energy assistance to low-income residents. Check your state’s program to find out if you qualify for LIHEAP.
2-1-1 Can Help Customers in Need
- Customers in need can contact the 2-1-1 service aimed at linking residents with the various services they might need, even beyond utility service. Customers can call 2-1-1 from their home phone and tell the agency about their issue, and 2-1-1 will direct them to sources for help.
This information also applies to AEP Appalachian Power customers in Kingsport and American Electric Power customers in Wheeling.