2022 Appalachian Power RFPs (Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, and Renewable Energy Certificates)
Appalachian Power Company, an American Electric Power company, is pursuing additional wind and solar generation resources,
along with energy storage resources, consistent with the requirements of the Virginia Clean Economy Act for a Phase I utility via three requests for proposals (RFPs).
The RFPs will be issued in 2022 as follows:
- Wind and Solar (PSA): Up to 1,000 MW Wind and/or 100 MW Solar RFP via one or more purchase and sale agreements (PSAs) for purchase of 100% equity interest in a project company.
The RFP was issued January 18, 2022. See below for more information.
- Energy Storage (PSA & PPA): RFP for energy storage via one or more PSAs and/or power purchase agreements (PPAs). RFP will be issued later this year.
- PPA and/or REC: RFP for PPAs and/or renewable energy certificates (RECs). RFP will be issued later this year.
Wind and Solar (PSA): Appalachian Power Company issued the PSA RFP to obtain up to 1,000 megawatts (MW) of wind and/or 100 MW solar energy projects on January 18, 2022.
PSA proposals will be evaluated based on criteria outlined in the PSA RFP. Projects must have a minimum size of 50 MW and be operational by December 15, 2025.
Proposals for solar projects may include the option of a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). To qualify for consideration under the PSA RFP:
- Solar Projects must interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. RTO and be located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Wind Projects must interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. RTO; however, may be located within or outside the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Refer to the PSA RFP for 1) additional requirements (§5.4) and 2) Eligibility and Threshold criteria (§8.1).
Appalachian Power Company encourages the use of local goods or services sourced, in whole or in part, from one or more Virginia-based businesses in the construction and/or operation of the Project or United States-based manufacturers using materials or product components made in Virginia or the United States.
Projects must conform to the requirements in the Virginia Environmental Justice Act (Va. Code §§ 2.2-234, et. seq.).
PSA proposals are due March 8, 2022.
Issue RFP: January 18, 2022
Proposal Due Date: March 8, 2022
Q&As will be compiled and posted here on a weekly basis. To submit a question please email APCoRFP2022@aep.com