2021 Wind and Solar Energy RFPs
Appalachian Power Company, an American Electric Power company, is pursuing wind and solar generation resources consistent with the requirements of the Virginia Clean Economy Act for a Phase I utility via three requests for proposals (RFPs). The RFPs will be issued in 2021 as follows:
- PSA: 300 MW Solar and Wind RFP via a purchase and sale agreement (PSA) for purchase of 100% equity interest in a project company.
- PPA: Solar and Wind Resource RFP via one or more long-term power purchase agreements (PPAs).
- RECs: RFP for renewable energy certificates (RECs) only.
Appalachian Power Company has issued the PSA RFP to obtain up to 300 megawatts (MW) of solar or wind energy projects in February. The PPA and REC RFPs will be issued at a date later this year.
PSA proposals will be evaluated based on criteria outlined in the PSA RFP. Projects must have a minimum size of 50 MW and be operational by December 15, 2024. Proposals may include the option of a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). To qualify for consideration:
- Solar Projects must interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. RTO and be located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Wind Projects must interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. RTO; however, may be located within or outside the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Refer to the PSA RFP for 1) additional requirements (Â§5.4) and 2) Eligibility and Threshold criteria (Â§8.1).
Appalachian Power Company encourages the use of local goods or services sourced, in whole or in part, from one or more Virginia businesses in the construction and/or operation of the Project. Projects must conform to the requirements in the Virginia Environmental Justice Act.
Proposals are due March 31, 2021.
Issue RFP:Â February 15, 2021
Proposal Due Date:Â March 31, 2021
Q&As will be compiled and posted here on a weekly basis. To submit a question please email APCoRenewableRFP2021@aep.com