2022 Wind and Solar Energy "REC" RFP
Appalachian Power, an American Electric Power company, is pursuing additional wind and solar generation resources, along with energy storage resources, consistent with requirements of the Virginia Clean Economy Act for a Phase I utility via four requests for proposals (RFPs) issued, thus far, in 2022.
The 2022 RFPs are as follows:
- NEW – Wind and Solar Power Purchase Agreement (PPA): Up to 100 MW Wind and/or Solar RFP via power purchase agreements. See details below.
- NEW – Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs): RFP for renewable energy certificates produced from Eligible Renewable Resource. Click here for more information.
- Energy Storage (PSA & PPA): RFP for energy storage will be issued later this year.
- Wind and Solar (PSA): Up to 1,000 MW Wind and/or 100 MW Solar RFP via one or more purchase and sale agreements (PSAs) for purchase of 100% equity interest in a project company. The RFP was issued January 18, 2022 and is now closed.
Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs): Appalachian Power issued the REC RFP to obtain Renewable Energy Certificates produced from Eligible Renewable Resources.
REC proposals will be evaluated based on criteria outlined in the REC RFP. To qualify for consideration under the REC RFP:
- Spot Proposals must include RECs that were generated anytime between January 1, 2021, and July 31, 2022.
- Term Proposals must be for a Term of fifteen (15), twenty (20), twenty-five (25) or thirty (30) years beginning January 1, 2025.
- Refer to the REC RFP for Eligibility and Threshold criteria (§8.1).
Projects must conform to the requirements in the Virginia Environmental Justice Act (Va. Code §§ 2.2-234, et. seq.).
Proposals are due July 27, 2022.
Please email all questions to APCoRFP2022@aep.com. Questions and answers will be compiled and posted here on a weekly basis.