2022 Wind and Solar Energy "PPA" RFP
Appalachian Power, an American Electric Power company, is pursuing additional wind and solar generation resources, along with energy storage resources, consistent with requirements of the Virginia Clean Economy Act for a Phase I utility via four requests for proposals (RFPs) issued, thus far, in 2022.
The 2022 RFPs are as follows:
- NEW – Wind and Solar Power Purchase Agreement (PPA): Up to 100 MW Wind and/or Solar RFP via power purchase agreements. See details below.
- NEW – Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs): RFP for renewable energy certificates produced from Eligible Renewable Resource. Click here for more information.
- Energy Storage (PSA & PPA): RFP for energy storage will be issued later this year.
- Wind and Solar (PSA): Up to 1,000 MW Wind and/or 100 MW Solar RFP via one or more purchase and sale agreements (PSAs) for purchase of 100% equity interest in a project company. The RFP was issued January 18, 2022 and is now closed.
Wind and Solar (PPA): Appalachian Power issued a PPA RFP to obtain up to 100 megawatts (MW) of wind and/or solar energy projects on June 9, 2022.
PPA proposals will be evaluated based on criteria outlined in the PPA RFP. Projects must have a minimum size of 50 MW for wind and 5 MW for solar and be operational by December 31, 2025. To qualify for consideration under the PPA RFP:
- Solar and Wind Projects must interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. or to the APCo Virginia distribution system.
- Refer to the PPA RFP for 1) additional requirements (§5.4) and 2) Eligibility and Threshold criteria (§8.1).
Appalachian Power encourages the use of local goods or services sourced, in whole or in part, from one or more Virginia-based businesses in the construction and/or operation of the Project or United States-based manufacturers using materials or product components made in Virginia or the United States. Projects must conform to the requirements in the Virginia Environmental Justice Act (Va. Code §§ 2.2-234, et. seq.).
Proposals are due July 27, 2022.
Please email all questions to APCoRFP2022@aep.com. Questions and answers will be compiled and posted here on a weekly basis.