2021 Wind and Solar Energy "PPA" RFP
Appalachian Power Company, an American Electric Power company, is pursuing wind and solar generation resources consistent with the requirements of the Virginia Clean Economy Act for a Phase I utility via three requests for proposals (RFPs) as follows:
- PSA: 300 MW Solar and Wind RFP via a purchase and sale agreement (PSA) for purchase of 100% equity interest in a project company. This RFP was issued on February 15, 2021 and proposals were received on March 31, 2021.
- PPA: Solar and Wind Resource RFP via one or more long-term power purchase agreements (PPAs).
- RECs: RFP for renewable energy certificates (RECs) only. The REC RFP has been issued separately and can be found online at www.appalachianpower.com/RFP.
Appalachian Power Company has issued the PPA RFP to obtain up to 100 megawatts (MW) of solar or wind energy projects.
PPA Proposals will be evaluated based on criteria outlined in the PPA RFP. To qualify for consideration:
- Solar Projects shall have a minimum nameplate rated size of 5 MWac and Wind Projects shall have a minimum nameplate rated size of 50 MW.
- Projects must be operational by December 31, 2024.
- Projects must 1) interconnect to the PJM Interconnection L.L.C. RTO or APCo’s distribution electrical system and 2) be located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Refer to the PPA RFP for 1) additional requirements (§5.5) and 2) Eligibility and Threshold criteria (§8.1).
Appalachian Power Company encourages the use of local goods or services sourced, in whole or in part, from one or more Virginia businesses in the construction and/or operation of the Project. Projects must conform to the requirements in the Virginia Environmental Justice Act.
Proposals are due June 30, 2021.
Issue RFP: May 19, 2021
Proposal Due Date: June 30, 2021
Q&As will be compiled and posted here on a weekly basis. To submit a question please email APCoRenewableRFP2021@aep.com